Saturday, February 21, 2009

De-parametrization of Risk

The first order of essay business is to de-parametrize risk – i.e. I have to break any of your preconceived notions of what risk is to ensure my fast lane is so wide I could ride my argument along a straight path through a mountain pass. So to qualify, I’m not including or excluding things like jumping out of airplanes, surfing shark laden South African waters, motocross rallies, or heli-skiing the Kyber Pass - all perfectly acceptable forms of risk, but they certainly don’t run the gamut. The thing to realise here is that some of you likely don’t think of these kinds of activities as risks at all, but rather as shear stupidity. Butt as I’ll point out later, taking these particular types of risks can give people as much kung-pow as shooting heroine does for some or going back to school does for others. Butt most importantly, I’ll point out that people take these risks, even if they don’t necessarily perceive them as risks, for the same reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment